Warm, freshly prepared cornbread is a staple in the South. Whether served alongside breakfast, lunch, or dinner, there’s no wrong way to enjoy cornbread – it's even excellent on its own! When it comes to flavor, we’re partial to buttery, slightly sweet cornbread that, when served with cream cheese or jam, is almost a dessert in itself. Sound delicious? Check out this recipe for Sweet Southern-Style Cornbread!
• 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 cups finely ground yellow cornmeal
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided
1. Place 2 sticks of the unsalted butter in a medium heatproof bowl. Microwave on high until melted, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While it is heating, place the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 9x13-inch baking pan and place it in the oven until the butter is melted about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and swirl the melted butter across the bottom and up the sides of the pan; set aside.
3. Place 2 cups cornmeal, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a large bowl, and whisk to fluff and combine.
4. Add 2 cups buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of the honey to the bowl of butter, and whisk until smooth.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Use a large, wide spatula to gently fold together until combined. Pour the batter into prepared baking pan.
6. Bake until edges are golden brown and center springs back when pressed, 25-30 minutes.
7. Place the pan and a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Brush the cornbread with the remaining 2 tablespoons, honey. Cut into squares and serve warm.
There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! Oxford at Lake Worth Apartments in Fort Worth, Texas is proud to introduce you to new meal ideas that will keep your family and friends coming back for more.