Sticking to a diet is hard. Sticking to a diet when you have strict dietary needs can be even more difficult. Though modern society is adapting quickly to the needs of those with food allergies, it can still be hard to find versions of your favorite foods that won't result in stomach upset or a severe allergic reaction. That’s why we’re delighted to share this recipe for Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese! This gluten-free recipe is just as delicious as the original – really! Try it for yourself and you’ll agree.
Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
• 10 ounces gluten-free elbow pasta
• ¼ cup butter
• 1?¼ teaspoons salt
• ¾ teaspoon mustard powder
• 4 cups milk
• ¼ cup cornstarch
• 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
• 2 gluten-free bread slices, toasted and broken into crumbs
• 1 teaspoon butter, softened
• ½ teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 8 minutes. Drain.
3. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir salt and mustard powder into melted butter and remove the saucepan from heat.
4. Whisk milk and cornstarch together in a bowl until smooth; stir into butter mixture until well blended. Return saucepan to stove; cook milk mixture, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
5. Stir 3 cups Cheddar cheese into sauce until the heat from sauce melts the cheese. Add pasta to cheese sauce and stir well; pour into the prepared baking dish.
6. Combine remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese, gluten-free bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon butter, and paprika in a bowl; sprinkle over pasta mixture.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is crunchy, about 30 minutes.
Cook up something delicious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Oxford at Lake Worth Apartments in Fort Worth, Texas, and put our expansive kitchens to good use!